Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A unexpected hospital visit

My baby in a hospital bed, now haven't we seen this one before through sickness, shunt surgery, revision surgery and now the occurrence of  three violently rough seizures, activity which was told us might occur eventually but....
It is not like I haven't seen violently active seizures before, because I have.... my brother having the kinds of seizures where he could be walking along and then fall down hard ; foam at the mouth grand-mall seizure .
In our youth, I was with him often times when we would be walking along and all of a sudden he would just drop.  Knowing what to do is so vitally important, because of the nature of the seizure, he could very well have injured himself.  Clearing a safe landing and making sure that there was nothing around him to block his breathing or the flailing of his limbs which would accompany his seizures.
Now, for those just walking by having no knowledge of a person with violently active seizure activity, this could be the most terrifying event to witness?  For someone who has seen a person with seizures all my life, and had to accept the responsibility of coping with various reactions by the viewing public....a stronger person....Yes, but more than that, it has given me a life passion to assist anyone who is under the "disability" banner.
However, getting back to my baby, Emily......she isn't a baby though at three years old on August 1st.
On Monday June  10, 2013 just beyond 8pm, as she was settling down for the night, she, all of a sudden sat up with a combined look of horror and confusion on her face...
Then, she let out one giant spew of vomit...as her eyes (stigmas) began to violent  dance while her upper half violently trembled.
The scarey part for me wasn't the seizure itself, but for the fact that I couldn't rouse her no matter how hard I tried.
Holding her hand waiting for a little squeeze as I gently called her name, but nothing.
The first thing I did, was to look to our daily guide and help book of Facebook where I got a number of helpful caring ideas.
As I read comments and waited for about a half an hour which seemed like an eternity, with no visible change in Emily's condition I took a friends advice and to her to the emergency ward of thew local hospital.
There, they waited no time knowing her medical history and rushed her in. With an oxygen mask on her face and an IV and sedation medicine being pumped through her system , soon after a CT scan was ordered to see if the seizure was being caused by added pressure in the brain of a shunt blockage or something, but nothing could be found.
Finally, it was determined that Emily had just had her first seizure however violent it was in nature, it was something we were warned about and somehow expected.
For Ellie our 4_+ year old, the fear that swept over her not finding Emily or myself in our home when she awoke....she phoned me with the voice of tremble and tears.
After she was assured of the situation, Ellie was alright...knowing that daddy had seizures and so too did her little sister.
Emily was already on a prescription of Carmazipine  which has since been doubled.
So we shall see where we go from here...


No comments:

Post a Comment