Friday, February 8, 2013

My Reasons for Writing; The Love For Family


Sometimes it is the "little things" that are the most meaningful; and to me it was the date stamped on my daughters first art project she had done in preschool; "Family Project."

September 25, minus the 2012 was my grandmothers birth date but even so, and even though she passed away in February of 2002, just the stamped date said to me that she was still here! 

With the events leading up to her death; she was dealing with dementia and mini strokes for a few years before 2001 Christmas night.  The night was made up of a few of us gathered at the kitchen table, but what made it extra special for me, was that I fed what would be her last meal at home; a home cooked spaghetti dinner. 

Christmas morning at 8am, a howl was heard from her room as the paramedics were called in by her care aide as she was in the midst of having a major stroke.  

She lived on IV fluids for the next five weeks until she succumb to the ravages of the trauma.

Still here in spirit; was my husbands mom as she too had passed away, but when my daughter was presented with this, her first project, the first person I thought to put on it was she.  Undying love and an understanding of the kind of person she was, we were trying to make real for a little girl who looked to the last photo taken of his mom with an Australian backdrop with a blank stare.

And with a gaze heaven ward, the thoughts expressed were; "I wish she were here to meet you!"  But as you grow older, you'll begin to understand the reasons surrounding her death. 

 A dream 50th anniversary European vacation with stops in Australia and New Zealand which would turns to tragedy when at 10 days in his dear beloved would succumb to a brain hemorrhage.

In the next photo, a group photo was taken at my brothers wedding. 

Continuing down, was a photo taken in June 2012 of myself and my daughter Ellie at Niagara Falls. 

The next photo, again a group photo at Niagara Falls.  

Next was a two year old photo of grandpa Gerry and Ellie, on one of his trips to the west coast of Canada.

The return favor, was our trip to southern Ontario in June of 2012.

And there is a three day old Emily in the  fine care of BC Children's Hospital of where she is still an outpatient today.

The last photo on Ellie's first art project, is a photo of both Ellie and Emily, there about eight weeks old at my brothers in-laws and another grandpa Gerry visit.
 
All is there to inspire an idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment